And footprints left behind.....
Abbie Gardner Cabin
Arnolds Park, IA.
The Spirit Lake Massacre Log Cabin, also known as the Gardner Log Cabin, is located in Arnolds Park, Iowa, United States. Rowland Gardner had led a group of settlers into the region in 1856, and he built this cabin in July of that year. On March 8, 1857, a band of renegade Wahpekuta Sioux who had been alienated from the tribal structure attacked the Gardner family and other settlers in the immediate area in an incident known as the Spirit Lake Massacre. Led by Inkpaduta, the band of outlaws raided both Indians and white settlers for a period of about 30 years.
The cabin in 1885
The massacre accelerated the US government's removal of the remaining Sioux from Iowa and Minnesota, and it slowed the rate of settlement in the region for a period of time. The raid actually began in another cabin, but this cabin gained notoriety because Gardner's 13-year-old daughter Abagail survived the attack, was taken captive, and was later ransomed by the Yankton Sioux. Abbie Gardner-Sharp published an account of the massacre, and was able to gain possession of the cabin that she ran as a museum. The state erected a monument to the victims near the cabin in 1895. After Gardner-Sharp died in 1921 the state of Iowa acquired the property and the state historical society continues to operate the cabin as a museum.
Ellsworth Ranch Bridge
Seven miles NW. of Armstrong, IA.
Ellsworth Ranch Bridge is a truss bridge located 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Armstrong in rural Emmet County, Iowa, United States. The Emmet County Board of Supervisors received a petition in January 1895 for a bridge across the East Fork of the Des Moines River in Lincoln Township. They gave their approval in April of the same year, and in May the board adopted the plans of the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. However, they rejected all the bids as too high, so they reduced the length of the span from 100 feet (30 m) to 80 feet (24 m). King won the contract for this and two other bridges for $3,400. The Ellsworth Ranch Bridge was completed later in 1895. The bridge includes elements of both the Pratt and Warren configurations in its single span.
Gerome Clark House
East of Milford, IA.
New York native Gerome Clark settled in Dickinson County about 1867. As he and his sons cleared the land of glacial rock for plantings they collected the multi-colored rocks and boulders of various sizes. The house was built in two sections, and it was not completed until 1888. The older section is two stories high, and the second section is a single story. Because the second section was built on higher ground it appears taller. It is a typical example of Iowan pioneer architecture. Its significance is derived from the adaptive use of unusual materials in its construction. The Clark family owned the house until 1905, when it was sold to Jacob L. Williams, whose family continued to own it at least into the late 20th century. However, it has not been lived in since 1967.
Logan Center School No.5
Junction of 420th St. and 310th Ave.
Logan Center School No.5 is a historic one-room schoolhouse located south of Dickens, Iowa, United States. The property was bought for a school in 1894 for $20, and the building was constructed the following year. Enrollment here averaged between 25 and 30 students until the 1930s when it started to decline. The school was closed in 1941 when it was incorporated into the Gillett Grove Consolidated School. The building is located in the center of Logan Township. Because the township has no incorporated communities the school building has functions as a township hall, a polling place, and hosts other community events. The building was also used for worship services and religious instruction. The original privy remains in the back, but a woodshed that was part of the historical nomination has subsequently been removed. The schoolhouse and privy were listed together on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.